05 June, 2009

New to this blog? Find out why you should read it, what it's about, and who's behind it !


Why are you doing this?

I love discussing things with people. I love sharing my ideas and hearing feedback, and I love giving feedback to others.

Our relationships and in fact our entire society is based on a process of give-and-take, and thus, so is what we know and believe.

I've come to realize that there are very few things that we come to know for ourselves -- we know what we're told growing up. Our basic understandings are based on those that our parents or teachers believed, our political beliefs are strongly influenced by the news we hear on TV and other media, and our friends greatly influence our behavior. Our religion is usually that of our family.

How much do we really know for ourselves? How much do we know that we've learned independently? What do we know that we have decided for ourselves? Should we trust what we think we know?

Hopefully some of the things I write about and some of the discussions that begin and continue on The Threshold can help us -- you and me both -- to move towards a personal understanding of things build on a solid foundation. And the better we understand our world, our beliefs, and our traditions, the more important they become to us the better decisions we can make.

We might even be able to make this world a better place...


So, what is The Threshold?

According to Webster's Dictionary, a "threshold" is defined thus:

thresh·old
noun
1. doorway: a doorway or entrance
2. starting point: the point where a new era or experience begins
3. level at which an effect starts: the level at which a psychological or physiological effect or state starts

This blog is meant to serve as a window to important news events, interesting topics, and fresh intellectual insights. In essence, after experiencing it, everyone should leave more informed and more intellectually satisfied; The Threshold can become a new "starting point" to a more informed life journey.

There are so many instances that I come across news articles, other blogs, etc. all over the Internet that make me want to scream in rage, jump for joy, rant until I'm blue in face, or simply share and discuss what I've come across. This blog is somewhere for me to act on that desire, and a place for the world to communicate directly in reponse.

Please -- the point is not only for me to express my vision and my views, but for everyone reading what I'm writing to do the same! Debates and responses are encouraged -- in fact, they are the goal. I firmly believe that the best way to a better and stronger understanding of what we know is to discuss things with each other -- to bounce ideas off of one another.

(I should note that you don't have to have an account to comment on postings!)

America and the world needs a better understanding of what we're doing and where we're going. Honestly, it's hard to not be scared to death at our future as humankind if you pay attention to the news.


Who are you and where do you come from?

I grew up outside of Detroit, and am now a college student living in Michigan, USA, studying Political Science, French, and Environmental Studies.

I am a retired performing pianist, and am now a photographer, an editor for my college newspaper, and the founder and past-president of my college's independent political group (HCI Blog) -- among other things. You can view my profile to the right.

Oh yeah -- I'm just turning 21, so I'll be around for a while! Everything I learn and know today further enriches my life and hopefully that of those around me.


Why should anyone care what you have to say?

Here's where I could list my academic standings, awards, honor societies, etc. and try and convince everyone that I'm super-special, super-smart, and the biggest inflated ego East of the Mississippi. But I won't -- that's niether true nor is it the point. :-)

Sure, I'm opinionated -- isn't everyone who has a blog?

The amazing things about blogs is that everyone with an ability to access the Internet can publicly comment on anything. Too often, however, there's no rationale behind what people are saying -- I will, when possible, cite sources and supporting information when addressing a controversial or in-depth subject.

The point is that everyone should be able to voice their opinion -- however, if they desire to be heard and their opinion carefully considered, then they should return the favor. That's why I'm doing this -- I can comment, someone else can comment on that, I can respond, etc.

Let's start the discussion!


How to use this blog:

Obviously, my posts are in this section, and you can easily read them, comment on them, and share them with the "sharethis" button at the bottom of each post.

From the column along the right, you can:



  • Subscribe to the blog via email or an RSS feader,

  • Read more about me (the editor) and email me,

  • Find The Threshold's most popular posts,

  • Find constantly updating news headlines,

  • Find other interesting blogs,

  • Find the quote of the day,

  • and much more!

Thanks for visiting and enjoy!

No comments: